Steve Lobel is a legend in the hip-hop game. After getting introduced to the music business by the late great Jam Master Jay from Run-DMC, Steve went on to become one of hip-hop’s most recognizable managers. Currently, Lobel manages the legendary group Bone Thugs-n-Harmony and super producer Scott Storch, who has worked with The Roots, Dr. Dre, Fat Joe, and many more.
Steve blesses us with a ton of great stories and advice, including lessons learned from Russell Simmons, Lyor Cohen, and others. He prides himself on honesty, and he does not back down from any questions, sharing very personal details and great business guidance. This is a great episode for any aspiring artist, producer, or future executive looking for more insight on advancing his or her career.
Part 1 Highlights:
- 9:22 Steve talks about starting in the music business with Run DMC
- 12:40 Why people call Steve “The white Russell Simmons”
- 18:00 Steve talks about finding happiness for the first time in years.
- 23:14 The worst things about being a manager
- 33:24 Find out what types of people Steve likes to surround himself with
- 42:10 What Steve would do if he only had a $5,000 budget to promote an artist
- 45:10 Steve’s advice to younger artists who would like to approach him