Steve Lobel is a legend in the hip-hop game. After getting introduced to the music business by the late great Jam Master Jay from Run-DMC, Steve went on to become one of hip-hop’s most recognizable managers. Currently, Lobel manages the legendary group Bone Thugs-n-Harmony and super producer Scott Storch, who has worked with The Roots, Dr. Dre, Fat Joe, and many more.
Steve blesses us with a ton of great stories and advice, including lessons learned from Russell Simmons, Lyor Cohen, and others. He prides himself on honesty, and he does not back down from any questions, sharing very personal details and great business guidance. This is a great episode for any aspiring artist, producer, or future executive looking for more insight on advancing his or her career.
Part 2 Highlights:
- 1:10 Why 50 Cent is a perfect example of success
- 7:18 Steve started every day out with a Mountain Dew and Snickers bar for decades
- 10:17 Steve makes a “Things not to do” list instead of a “To do” list
- 17:14 Steve shares his thoughts about the rappers he knew who passed away
- 23:35 Why Steve now takes pictures with celebrities
- 36:11 Do emerging artists need to move to LA or NY to make it?